The endpoint of many court cases is a judgment in favor of the prevailing party. This result may come from a trial in front of a judge or jury. It might be by default if a party is served but fails to respond. It might be after a settlement agreement is made but breached, and a judgment is entered on it to enforce it. In addition, any order calling for the payment of money can be enforced in the same way as a judgment mentioned above.

However it comes about, the judgment may be enforced if it is not paid voluntarily. Having the entered judgment or order for the payment of money allows the creditor (the person in whose favor the judgment or order was made) to take action to collection. And those actions are new and different from what a person can do prior to winning a judgment or order.

If you need help enforcing a court judgment to recover money from a debtor, supplier, borrower, employer, or anyone else who might owe you money, retaining a California judgment collection attorney is imperative. At John F. Bradley, Jr. Attorney at Law, I provide comprehensive representation and legal guidance in debt collection and judgment enforcement-related matters. 

As your attorney, I have the skills to analyze your situation and explore your available legal options to recover the debt or money judgment. In addition, I will fight for your rights, help file your enforcement petition, and work intelligently to recover any money or product owed. 

My firm, John F. Bradley, Jr. Attorney at Law, proudly serves clients across the San Francisco Bay Area, California, and the surrounding areas of San Mateo County, Alameda County, and Santa Clara County. 



Defining Enforcement of a Judgment 

Enforcement of a judgment involves the various legal steps taken by a creditor to recover a monetary award or money owed from a debtor or defendant. In the event that a debtor or defendant refuses to satisfy a judgment immediately or doesn't have enough money to pay back their debts, the creditor or plaintiff is entitled to take action to collect. This might be a lien on a property, a levy on a bank account, or a wage garnishment. There are many other options depending on the situation.

For example, say one party involved in a business transaction failed to fulfill their contractual terms. The other party filed a breach of contract lawsuit and was awarded monetary compensation by the court. After a court enters the judgment, the defendant (judgment debtor) still refuses to pay the claimant (judgment creditor). 

The claimant can then take action to enforce the judgment. This is not asking to be paid. The claimant can, for example, levy a bank account to seize funds that may be on deposit.

Some other options include:

Place a lien on the debtor's property, real or personal.

Levy the debtor's bank account. 

Levy and sell real or personal property.

Garnish the debtor's wages. 

Serve the judgment debtor with an order for examination to obtain information.

Subpoena third parties for information.

Serve a third-party debtor examination. 

These are just some examples. The best strategy to pursue is going to depend on the debtor’s circumstances and situation. We are always re-evaluating the approach in light of new information.

An experienced attorney can walk you through the procedures involved in filing an enforcement of judgment lawsuit and make sure you file your petition as early as possible. 

Time Limits

Generally, a judgment in California is enforceable for ten years from its entry. Judgments can be renewed for additional periods of time, and the interest compounds on renewal.

Why Do You Need an Attorney?  

Dealing with a debtor, customer, supplier, or business who wouldn't pay for products or services provided, especially after a court judgment, can be extremely frustrating. In such situations, taking the necessary steps to enforce the judgment is imperative. A knowledgeable judgment collection attorney can advocate for your best interests and help determine the best course of action. 

At John F. Bradley, Jr. Attorney at Law, I enjoy giving outstanding legal counsel and helping creditors recover their debt judgments. As your attorney, I can help you enforce your rights in court and enforce a judgment if you win. Above all, I will keep fighting for your rights and attempt to recover the full amount you're owed. 


If you need help to enforce a money judgment, call me at John F. Bradley, Jr. Attorney at Law today to schedule a simple case evaluation. I can strategize an effective approach to enforce the judgment and recover what is rightfully yours. My firm proudly serves clients across the San Francisco Bay Area, San Mateo County, Alameda County, and Santa Clara County.